I like to keep Mexican food on our regular rotation for dining out. For some reason, though, I don’t make much Mexican food at home. We’ve had a cold snap in Atlanta, so today I was in the mood for a hearty soup with a little spice. I always enjoy tortilla soup when we’re having Mexican food, so this is my version of this delicious liquid treat.
Jim is a lightweight when it comes to spice, so I have to keep the heat level to a minimum in everything I make. Mrs. Dash makes a Chipotle Seasoning which I use for adding a little heat and chipotle flavor. Depending on how much kick you want in your soup, the amount of chipotle seasoning, chili powder, and jalapenos can all be added to taste in this recipe. My version was only slightly spicy, but if you like more heat by all means go for it.
When enhanced with avocado, cheese, tortilla strips, lime, and cilantro, this soup can be the centerpiece of the dinner table. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 avocado, sliced (for garnish)
- 3/4 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese (for garnish)
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
- For the chicken:
- 1. Mix salt, chili powder, chipotle powder, and cumin.
- 2. Sprinkle mixture over both sides of chicken tenders.
- 3. Drizzle with olive oil.
- 4. Grill chicken on gas grill or grill pan on the cooktop for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- 5. When cooled, shred into bite-sized pieces.
- 6. Set aside.
- 1. Stack tortillas and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Cut crosswise to create strips of equal length of about 2 inches.
- 2. Heat oil in large skillet.
- 3. In batches, fry tortilla strips until slightly browning and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
- 4. Set aside.
- 1. Heat vegetable oil in dutch oven or soup pot.
- 2. Saute peppers, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add tomato, chicken stock, black beans, corn, and spices.
- 4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5. Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6. Adjust salt and seasonings to taste.
- 7. Ladle soup into shallow bowls and garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, lime, cheese, and cilantro.