My favorite morning meal is a breakfast sandwich of some kind…maybe be a breakfast burrito, a croissant with egg and sausage, or a panini with scrambled eggs and cheese. When I’m shopping at Whole Foods I can’t resist the bread section and this weekend I grabbed a loaf of sourdough hearth bread, knowing that a breakfast sandwich would be on the weekend menu. My Mom served bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT) sandwiches for summer supper on a regular basis. They were always served on white bread with lots of mayo and I still love them that way! In this post I transform this classic sandwich to delicious morning meal.
I realize that this post doesn’t really require a recipe, but this is a great way to start the day, so I figured I’d post it anyway. The addition to pesto mayonnaise takes it over the top!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto
- 8 slices of bacon
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices of good quality rustic bread, buttered and toasted
- 4 large green leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1. Combine mayonnaise and prepared basil pesto. Set aside.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet until brown and crispy. Set aside. Remove all but 2 tbsp bacon fat from skillet.
- 3. Carefully crack and open eggs into skillet and cook over very low heat until whites are done and yolks are not completely cooked.
- 4. Spread basil mayonnaise on toasted bread slices.
- 5. Add lettuce, tomato, and 2 strips of bacon to each of 4 slices of bread and top each with an egg.
- 6. Top each sandwich with bread and serve immediately