My favorite morning meal is a breakfast sandwich of some kind…maybe be a breakfast burrito, a croissant with egg and sausage, or a panini with scrambled eggs and cheese. When I’m shopping at Whole Foods I can’t resist the bread section and this weekend I grabbed a loaf of sourdough hearth bread, knowing that a breakfast sandwich would be on the weekend menu. My Mom served bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT) sandwiches for summer supper on a regular basis. They were always served on white bread with lots of mayo and I still love them that way! In this post I transform this classic sandwich to delicious morning meal.
I realize that this post doesn’t really require a recipe, but this is a great way to start the day, so I figured I’d post it anyway. The addition to pesto mayonnaise takes it over the top!
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto
8 slices of bacon
8 slices of good quality rustic bread, buttered and toasted
4 large green leaf lettuce leaves
1 large tomato, sliced
1. Combine mayonnaise and prepared basil pesto. Set aside.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet until brown and crispy. Set aside. Remove all but 2 tbsp bacon fat from skillet.
3. Carefully crack and open eggs into skillet and cook over very low heat until whites are done and yolks are not completely cooked.
4. Spread basil mayonnaise on toasted bread slices.
5. Add lettuce, tomato, and 2 strips of bacon to each of 4 slices of bread and top each with an egg.
6. Top each sandwich with bread and serve immediately
You may also like:
Latest posts by Bill Harris (see all)
- Pan-Seared Chicken with Parmesan Grits & Mushroom Gravy - October 30, 2014
- Tom Yum Goong (Hot and Sour Seafood Soup) - October 28, 2014
- Easy Red Beans and Rice - October 24, 2014