There are a million pasta dishes with tomatoes and basil out there and then there’s this one with the addition of brie. I struggle with describing the layer of texture and flavor that brie adds to this dish other than to say that the melted cheese coats each strand of linguine and brings a delicious richness to an already classic combination of flavors.
Each summer, I anxiously await the height of the tomato season so I can make this pasta. Local farmers at my neighborhood organic market have produced some of the best tasting tomatoes this year and the haul that I made last weekend was destined for this dish. This recipe demands only the highest quality tomatoes.
The sauce for this recipe requires no cooking. The tomatoes, basil, brie, garlic, and olive oil mascerate on your counter top for two to three hours. When you walk past the counter, the aroma rising from the bowl demands a mouthwatering response. To finish the dish you simply add piping hot linguine to the bowl, mix well, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, and serve. Of all the pasta recipes I’ve made over the years, this one remains at the top of my list of favs.
4 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1/2 pound brie, rind removed and torn into medium-sized pieces
1 cup packed basil leaves, roughly cut
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound lingiune
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine tomatoes, brie,basil, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a large bowl and leave out at room temperature for two to three hours.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook linguine according to package directions or until al dente.
3. Drain pasta and immediately add to tomato mixture. Mix well and serve immediately. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
Latest posts by Bill Harris (see all)
- Ancho Pork Belly Tacos with Pickled Onions and Avocado Mayo - August 22, 2014
- Kiki’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies - August 19, 2014
- Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto, Roasted Golden Beets and Figs - August 15, 2014