I’m a mess in the kitchen. I mean it, a real mess. There…I said it. When I started blogging I pledged that I would better organize myself in the kitchen and that I would clean as I go. I also recommitted to mise en place. That’s a fancy way of saying that you complete all prep work, including chopping, measuring, and organizing ingredients, before you begin cooking. I saw Jimmy in the wings saying, “yes, yes, yes!!”. (FYI…he’s the primary cleaner upper.)
When I decided to make a very simple soup for this post, I though “oh, this will be easy and cleanup will be a cinch”. Well, I’m sorry to report that that didn’t happen. When I was taking photographs, I surveyed the kitchen and my heart sank. As hard as I try, I still seem to mess up almost everything in the kitchen regardless of what I’m making.
As much of a mess as I am in the kitchen, I would venture to say that my results are pretty successful for the most part. I’ll keep trying to do better, but I ain’t promising nothing! (Jimmy groans silently.)
This soup is clean, healthful, and delicious. Serve it with some buttered, crusty bread and it’s dinner on a cool autumn night.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chicken stock
5 Italian sausages, cooked and sliced
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
4 cups chopped kale
Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for about four to five minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add chicken stock, sausage, tomatoes, beans, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add kale and cook for five minutes until kale is wilted.
4. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Latest posts by Bill Harris (see all)
- Tandoori Chicken - August 29, 2014
- Green Goddess Chicken Salad with Fennel and Red Pepper - August 26, 2014
- Ancho Pork Belly Tacos with Pickled Onions and Avocado Mayo - August 22, 2014